Bill joined Ryley Carlock & Applewhite in 1964 following his graduation from the University of Arizona College of Law and served as the firm's Managing Shareholder from 1988 to 1998.
He has a diversified practice in the areas of public finance, corporate and securities law, real estate, probate and estate planning, and representation of corporate fiduciaries, with a primary emphasis on the representation of clients in all aspects of public finance law. Bill has extensive experience in representing public entities and in serving as counsel to issuers, underwriters, indenture trustees, borrowing entities, and as bond counsel in connection with public financing transactions. He also serves as a general counsel to a number of profit and nonprofit corporations.
A native Arizonan, Bill is married to Liisa and has two adult children and five grandchildren. He served on active and reserve duty in the United States Navy (1956-1962).
Bill is active in the business, civic and cultural affairs of the greater Phoenix area. In his free time Bill enjoys hunting, fishing, hiking and exploring the southwest, traveling, studying history of any era, and spending time with his family.
Bill is a frequent lecturer at various legal and continuing education seminars and programs.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, Member
- Arizona and Maricopa County Bar Associations, Member
- Arizona Bar Foundation, Founding Fellow
- Desert Botanical Garden: Trustee, 2009-present and 1997-2007; President, 2004-2006
- Phoenix Community Alliance, Director, 1994-present
- Audubon Arizona, Director, 2006-2012
- Arizonans for Cultural Development, Director, 1994-2000
- The Arizona Club: Director, 1993-1997; President, 1995-1996
- Assistance League of Phoenix, Chapter Advisory Board, 1989-1993
- National Municipal League, Regional Vice President, 1985-1986
- American Heart Association Arizona Affiliate,:Director, 1975-1983; Chairman of Board, 1982-1983
- Ducks Unlimited, Phoenix Area Chairman, 1974-1976
- Boy Scouts of America, Assistant Scoutmaster, 1965-1975
- Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society, Member
- Arizona Historical Society, Member
- Roosevelt Rough Riders, Member
- Phoenix Art Museum, Member
- AV-Rated Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®
- Named to Legal Leaders' Top Rated Lawyer List